How do you get a game off the ground from a marketing standpoint?

Started by
0 comments, last by darkmajki 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, I won't lie after failing to fix some nasty bugs and a general disinterest from the "public"(of course I am talking about a extremely minified version of the public), I started questioning whether my last year and a half was a total waste of time. As time is nearing where I am supposed to release the game's trailer and really soon after that go into early access, I was hoping I could find someone from which I could get a tip or two and some nasty critic.
I've been posting on the usual channels(reddit, instagram, twitter, indiedb/moddb) for the past year or so and sadly I don't seem to grab the attention of the players. I don't mind it, I know I should take it as an exercise to "git gud", but I just don't know how to go on.

Thinking that the trailer might bring finally some fame to the game it's probably true, but what if it doesn't? So my questions are really all connected to that, how do you get your initial fans even though your game isn't anything special. Don't get me wrong, I do think it can end up being a great game or at least a very good one(and I am a pretty critical person so coming to that conclusion took some work on the design and the visuals of the game), but I am realistic too, I am a single developer and there are honestly limits to what I can do. I did actually try to collaborate with some people but they either quit after a week or so, one of them stayed for a couple of months on the visual side but he too had to leave and a couple of guys who we never hit it off from the start, I was fine with them but obviously they couldn't devote the time, even though they said they could.

A couple of things that I think I can pinpoint myself about my game that are hurting it's "popularity" are :
-not enough eye candy which hurts both of my shareable(don't know if it is an actual word :D ) factor on social media and the general interest in the game
-no trailer
-the game is not clear enough(it's an match-3 rpg but with more on the rpg then on the match-3, so it's quite a unique game and not a cheap knock off)

For reference, and for reference sake only here is my game https://www.indiedb.com/games/fullybroken4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement